9/03/2020

You Only Have One First

 

They say there is nothing like your first; first kiss, first beer, and well first MLB game.  Time to jump in a time machine back to 1988.  

Years earlier my parents took my older siblings to Chicago for a vacation.  I was to young to really appreciate it, and well probably was left to not be in the way at a young age, and was left with Grandma & Grandpa.  A few years later I found a white haired, big glasses wearing guy who sang on cable TV and had become a Cubs fan.  

Outside of going to Clear Lake every summer I can prob count on my hand the vacations we went on. (The Dells, South Dakota, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale)  Now a little older and since I didn't get to go on the previous trip, in June of 1988 I was going to get to go to Chicago.  

A few things stick out from the drive there.  Before we got started, I set my suitcase out in the driveway since the car was locked and a small rain shower came through and my suitcase got soaked.  Somewhere about in Western Illinois on the interstate into town dad hit a duck and I remember turning around in the back seat to see it flop around on the road.  Finally looking out the front window for the first time at the Chicago skyline in awe.

We hit the tourist places throughout the city.  I remember the dolphins and otters at Shedd Aquarium, remember dad getting excited going through the submarine at the Museum of Science and Industry.  We stayed at the Essex Inn and had breakfast every morning in the little restaurant there on Michigan Ave.  Had pizza at Gino's East and I always thought it was such a huge place and all the graffiti on the wall.  All i really wanted was though to get to Wrigley.

I remember getting up that morning, getting my Cubs gear on, got my glove ready.  We went down to the Subway and I got my first ride on the L.  Dad was counting down the stops from the map in the train car and said "Wrigley is next" and then I got my first glimpse of the friendly confines.  I had been to Iowa football games before and always got goose bumps walking into Kinnick, I got the same goose bumps seeing Wrigley.  

Wrigleyville wasn't what it is today and well I was 10 then so we didn't stay out of the stadium long after getting off the train.  We walked over and saw the marquee and then went in to the stadium through the front gate.  

The Cubs were playing the Phillies so the game became a bragging rights game with my brother. I remember our seats were on the 1st base side under the second deck, so we had shade.  Dad said that was a good thing since Sutcliffe was pitching and he usually adds 30 minutes to any game.  While they were warming up, dad and I went down to the front row where Andre Dawson (the 1987 NL MVP) was warming up.  Along with about 10 other kids we were trying to get his autograph, alas that didn't happen.  I would get his autograph 28 years later.  

I remember some sailors sitting in front of us in their dress whites.  It was a hot day, and on the concourses in Wrigley some tar had got bubbly and made its way to the bottom of my shoe.  I put my foot up on the back of the seat in front of me and as one leaned back, a black smudge made its way to his back.  From watching movies, a part me thought I just earned this guy some push ups because of a dirty uniform.

Most plays from this game don't stick out as much 32 years later as big plays but for a few midway through the game.  Davey Martinez had got a hit to get on base.  Up came Shawon Dunston.  He smacked a homer run into the basket in about left, left center.  That was it for the scoring.  Being 10 I was all over the place.  I remember the vendors coming up and down the stairs and seeing all the souvenirs.  I wanted one of those foam hands, but eventually settled on a baseball.  Playing with the ball and looking all over the rest of the game seemed like a blur but for the 7th Inning Stretch.  I finally got to sing in person with Harry.  Looked up over my left shoulder I got to watch him wave the mic around like I had on tv.  

The Cubs won 2-1.  The day, the trip was made.  I've been to Wrigley 10 times since that day in 1988.  I'm glad I got the ball especially now that I eventually started to collect them.  Looking in the case that first one will hold a special place in the memory bank being there with my dad and mom as it sits next to the ball from my son's first trip to Wrigley with me.  


Up Next : A Family First

No comments:

Post a Comment