4/13/2012

Friday 6 Pack

1-Bubba Watson out dueled Louis Ousthiezen in two sudden death holes to win the green jacket in a wild weekend at Augusta.  Phil, Kuchar, Freddie and a couple others had shares of the lead this weekend before Bubba won.   Final thoughts on this year’s Masters?  And should Bubba be a favorite heading into the US Open?
Matt – Saturday was great with 7 different leaders.  I wish Freddie would have been there Sunday, but the last 9 holes were amazing with Phil, Kuchar, Hanson Louis and Bubba all making shots.  I was rooting for Kuchar, his shot on 16 hurt.  Glad Bubba got it in the playoff and it was a great scene afterwards too when he won.
WendtI'll be honest, I watched a few holes but that was it. I guess I'm all about USA USA USA when it comes to golf tournaments
Painter – I love that guys like Bubba, Louis, Rory, Keegan, and the other youngsters are winning these major tournaments.  I've said for a while that it's good for the young guns to win tournaments while Tiger and Phil struggle.  It shows the sport has a future.  In no way should Bubba be the favorite for a tournament that's over a month away, but a Master's win sure doesn't hurt his chances
BlakeI'm glad that Bubba was able to pull it out.  I don't know how you could root against him knowing his recent adoption and going for his first major.  That second shot out of the woods and onto the green was one of the most amazing golf shots I've seen.  And no, he is not the favorite, just because there are no favorites in golf anymore.  It'll be someone else, just like the last, what, 14 major's have been
Majors – Bubba! Bubba! Bubba!!! You guys need to listen to me more often, haha! That was a crazy shot ont he 2nd hole of the playoff. I thought the Masters was great this year. I think golf has some great young players, there can be some great rivalries in the near future. As for the Open, I think Bubba could do it. Lots of competition, though...
Silker – I didnt watch it, but i saw the highlights. It looks like a great last round. From Phil to Bubba, to Tiger falling all apart. No Bubba is not the favorite. I dont think  you can really call anyone in the top 10 a favorite at any match anymore.  There is no dominate Tiger of the early 2000s that would win at all costs

2-Bobby Petrino crashed a motorcycle with a 25 year old female friend that he “forgot” about when telling his boss, is now on paid leave from Arkansas.  Will he be coaching next season for Arkansas, and if you were the AD what would you do?
Matt – First off, is anyone surprised?  If you are…WAKE UP.  He will end up being retained I think…why, 21-5. If he was 13-13 he’d be gone.  If I was AD…I’d probably can him, as with Tressel and the Saints, the cover up is worse than the crime.
WendtHe'll be coaching and honestly, do we know if he and this 25yr old were bumping uglies or not?
Painter – Well we all know that Petrino is no longer employed by Arkansas which was the right decision
BlakeI think I fire him.  It's not the crime, it's the cover up, and this one is brutal.  There was no reason for him to even hold a press conference if there were circumstances that hadn't come out yet.  That means not only is he a filthy liar, he's a stupid one too.  Not the type of person I want leading my program
Majors – See, what ha-ha-had happened was...  and yes, he should be fired. Wonder what her fiancée thinks about all of this? 
Silker – Time shows NO! I would do the same thing. He lied and he deserved to get fired. However he will probably be the Saints coach for 6 games next year

3-I’m going to steal this from the Dan Patrick Show….you can choose to change one of the two, what do you do.  The BCS/College Football Post Season or College Basketball’s One and Done rule?
Matt – Since I love college football more it’d be college football and get a 16 team playoff and then also cut the bowls by 10 and get rid of the 6-6 bowl teams.
WendtCollege Football needs a playoff, so I'd change that in a heartbeat
Painter – I'd change both but the most pressing to me is the football bowl system.  The BCS is horrible and there is no reason a playoff would hurt the game and the students
BlakeI fix the BCS and the football playoff.  I don't mind the One and Done rule from the NBA point of view, it makes for better basketball at that level
Majors – That's easy, College Football. Rotate the bowl games as playoff games, it will be fine. The basketball rule doesn't bug me as much
Silker – BCS. Make it a playoff! One and Done is fine! WE NEED A PLAYOFF!

4-Saturday is Iowa’s spring practice; should Kirk go back to actually having a Spring Game or continue this practice that will still pack thousands of fans into Kinnick Stadium and fans in the parking lot to tailgate?
Matt – I have a lot of memories with my dad going to the spring game and took my kids to the spring practice a few years ago.  I like the game part but hell with the Iowa running backs going down like crazy I’m ready for them to not even be on the field at all.  Give me the game though.
WendtI guess if he chooses not to hold a "game" and instead a practice that's his opinion. We really don't need another reason to have a running back get hurt I guess. 
Painter – A game would be more fun for the fans but it's more important to build continuity in your units.  A game would most likely require splitting the players up in some form.  Don't mess with it unless people stop coming
BlakeDoes it really matter?  Both are really just practices and pretty vanilla at that
Majors – The Spring Game would be cool. I don't mind the practice, but the game would be fun. The fans will show either way
Silker – Really Iowa Fans, you tailgate for a practice? That is like tailgating for a T-Ball game. Kirk give us a game! show us what you have or don’t have. It’s not like you will be closing the season out with your starting running back anyways so it wouldn’t matter if he got hurt

5-Spring and Summer are around the corner…as a kid what are some of the sports/games you played a lot?
Matt – My buddies and I played a game we called Tennis ball.  It was baseball in the tennis courts so we had a fence, but it also had dodge ball in it where you could chuck the tennis ball at the players too to get them out.  Lotta hours spent playing that. 
WendtBaseball, tennis ball (same thing except a tennis ball to hit instead) basketball, tag, hide and go seek, Ghosts in the Graveyard. We were outside doing stuff from sun up till sun down
Painter – We played a lot of home run derby, we're talking from 10 am until 5 or 6 pm Monday through Friday.  In the evenings we'd get back together for video games of some sort
BlakeBaseball!
Majors – Baseball, Wall Ball...
Silker – Loved baseball, it was always fun to go out and play. Other than that, Kick the can and such was always fun as a smaller kid

6-Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw are selling out stadiums this summer with their Brothers Under the Sun tour…best concert(or most fun you’ve had) at and also who do you wanna go see that you haven’t?
Matt – My favorite concert because of most fun was probably Kenny Chesney with Montgomery Gentry at the Mark in the Quad Cities in 2003.  It was on my birthday and a blast just hanging out there and then hitting the district later.  I’d love to go to the Tim & Kenny concert and have friends who are going.  I think an Aldean and a Eric Church show would be a party too! 
WendtWe saw Garth Brooks in 1997, that was alot of fun. No real concert I "want" to see
Painter – Nine Inch Nails in Minneapolis in 2008 was a great show.  Some of the visual effects were bad ass.  I'm looking forward to LAZERFest this year and getting to see Chevelle, Shinedown, POD, Volbeat, Adelita's Way, and Theory of a Deadman.  Beside those bands I'd love to see Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, and Smashing Pumpkins
BlakeMost fun is probably when Dave Matthews played Principal Park.  I want to see Jimmy Buffett, but, yeah, I'm not rich
Majors – I am pretty lucky, we have tons of concerts around here. I have seen Kenny 5 times now, Godsmack 4, plus many, many others. I would love to check out Zac Brown Band, Jason Aldean, Three Days Grace..
Silker – Best Concert I have been to is a tie between Garth Brooks in 1999 and Neil Diamond. Both were great performers that kept the crowd in it the whole show! I want to see Coldplay, but I have tickets for them this fall, so I would have to say U2 and Zac Brown Band

No comments:

Post a Comment