8/29/2012

Wide Right Hall of Fame – Second Class

As the first class had a feel of the season (baseball’s first pitch) the second class follows suit with football season approaching. 


Kinnick Stadium – The Empire Strikes Back – Hayden Fry – Back In Black – The Tiger Hawk – Tecmo Bowl


Kinnick Stadium – As with Wrigley Field in the Inaugural Class, Kinnick Stadium is my other of my 2 favorite places in the world.  I’ve been to close to 100 games there and every time I walk up that old tunnel still in the shadow.  Looking up you can see the sun and as I still get closer to that point every time I get goose bumps.  Once you hit the top of the ramp the brightness of the sun hits you, the green grass (turf) and the Hawkeyes in black jersey’s and the black helmets.  It’s one of the favorite things in my life.  I’ve seen many games there with my dad and mom and I can’t wait to take my kids there for games.

The Empire Strikes Back – Star Wars started my love of that galaxy far far away, but Empire continued it.  Luke grows up, Han & Leia’s relationship starts and the 2 coolest guys in the galaxy are introduced, Boba Fett and Lando! 

Hayden Fry – Hayden is a first ballot Hall of Famer, but wanted to save him close to football season.  He’s one of my ultimate heroes.  At Iowa games I’d always scope out the white pants where they were on the sideline.  I’d listen to his radio show every Thursday with my dad.  I even dressed as him a couple Halloweens.  I got to meet him during the 93 spring game and got a picture with him. 

Back in Black – Just watch this!

The TigerHawk – The symbol of my child hood and life.  It’s one of the first things I learned to draw and I used to draw A LOT OF THEM. It’s one of the first things I taught my kids what it is, when they see one they shout “Dad, Hawkeyes!” 

Tecmo Bowl – The first great football video game!  I can’t count how many hours I played it.  I used to keep stats manually since the game didn’t do it, and I’d make my own “Big Peach” sports pages.  Bo Jackson on it is LEGENDARY too! 









  



No comments:

Post a Comment