9/30/2010

Big Ten Predictions - Week 5

Conference Play!  No more games vs FCS teams.  The real season begins.


Northwestern @ Minnesota – The Wildcats swept the non-conf slate of games for the 2nd time since like 1967, travel to Minnesota where Tim Brewster’s seat is hotter than a night game in Arizona.  The Gophers are struggling, QB Adam Weber has regressed since his sophomore season.  To get to a 3rd straight bowl the Gophers need to go 5-3 in conference play, don’t see it happening.  Dan Persa and Jeremy Ebert I think connect for a few scores and the ‘Cats move to 5-0.

Ohio State @ Illinois – I feel that this is going to be almost like the non-conference games the Buckeyes have had so far.  No Contest.  I just don’t see the Zooker and the Illini able to compete with this Buckeye team.  They are on a mission and I think they roll out of Champaign with a big double digit win.

Michigan @ Indiana – I hope the scoreboard operator is ready.  I think we see a lot of points scored here.  Last year in the Big House Indiana got jobbed and lost a 33-36.  Ben Chappel and Denard Robinson should put on a great QB show.  It will be interesting to see how Denard Robinson responds from his injury vs Bowling Green.  I think we’ll see his total yardage drop as the Big Ten play gets tougher, but he still puts up 350+ and Michigan wins.

Penn State @ Iowa – Night time at Kinnick.  Hawks are coming off a destruction of Ball State, Penn State a close call from Temple.  Before the year I thought Iowa would own this game, right now I think they do to.  Hawks control both lines, and I think All-American Adrian Clayborn and Mike Daniels devours the Penn State freshman signal caller in his first road Big Ten game.  Hawks 27-9.


BIG TEN
GAME OF THE WEEK

Wisconsin @ Michigan State – Game of the week in the Big Ten, and I think the toughest game to pick.  Michigan State is likely without Coach Dantonio again for a second week, last week it didn’t matter, this week it’s a tougher opponent.  Wisconsin put up huge numbers vs Austin Peay, they won’t do that against the Spartans.  I think Greg Jones and company keep the Badgers under 200 yards rushing and its close.  I want to pick the Spartans but I think Bucky Badger escapes 23-21.


I start the Big Ten season with a season record of 38-4.  So along with my season records I'll keep track of my conference record too.  Along with that, a buddy, Chad, is going to have a contest with me, who ever picks the most conference game winners, the loser owes him a Jimmy John sandwich!  So I'll have a scoreboard for our picks too.

CONF (0-0)
SEASON (38-4)


Matt-Chad Challenge : (0-0) to (0-0)

2 comments:

  1. Northwestern @ Minnesota – This game will be closer than most expect, but in the end Northwestern wins.

    Ohio State @ Illinois – Ohio State rolls.

    Michigan @ Indiana – Big time shootout. I wouldn’t be shocked if Indiana pulls off the upset, but I’m going with the Wolverines.

    Penn State @ Iowa – Hawks.

    Wisconsin @ Michigan State – This game will determine who our early leader is…I think Michigan State gets it done at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went 4-1 on my picks. Lost the game of the week. Chad went 5-0 on the picks.

    Week (4-1)
    Season (42-5/4-1)

    Jimmy John's Challenge: -1

    ReplyDelete